Friday, March 4, 2011

Lady Luck

I've never thought that I was lucky. It seems that I was always on the "poopy" end of the stick, up a crick without a paddle, you name the euphemism and that was me. I was a glass half empty kind of gal, I never saw the good that was around me. And I felt as unlucky as they came.

I focused on the things that shaped me. I lost my mother at age 8. Which lead me to a life of rebellion, because god knows, that I was screwed, and nothing was ever going to change that, so I might as well make my life into a non-stop party. I dated the bad boys, which lead to smoking, drinking, drugs, and sex. All by the ripe old age of 13. And I got away with it, while I know my dad cared about me, I think he turned a blind eye because I was the "All-American" teenager on the outside. I got good grades, participated in extra curricular activities, and was responsible despite the life I was hiding. I had, and still do have, the most immense desire to please people.

Most of my teenage years are a blur. School in the morning, parties on the weekends. I had a really good time, at the expense of my self esteem. My partying got more and more raucous and love blinded me from the emotional turned physical abuse of my then fiance. Yes, I was engaged to this guy and that lifestyle by the age of 18.

Once I moved to college, I developed the notion that since I was paying for my schooling, I should probably take things more seriously. I studied profusely, as I was in Nursing school, yet I still partied on the weekends. This lead to laziness, skipping classes, and passing classes by the skin of my teeth. I moved back home, and left school.

Once home, I landed a little library job as a Circulation Clerk at my local library. I was working with my best friend, and made several new friends. Friends that were not part of the group I was running with. However, within the first week, I called into work sick.

That fiance of mine and I got into a fight. A bad fight. A fight in the middle of the street from 12-3am. The kind of fight that wakes up the neighborhood. It was bad.

While I was at home, nursing the emotional wounds of the early morning (it didn't get physical). I got a phone call from my best friend. It turns out that a guy that I worked with (the security guard nevertheless), that I barely knew, was really concerned about me. After getting permission from my BFF, he got in contact with me just to make sure everything was alright, and offered to help in any way he could.

It was the first time that I felt that kind of kindness from a stranger. And it changed my life--my luck had changed in a moment. I let that guy into my life. He became my friend. I quit my "wild ways" and most importantly, I broke up with my fiance. Yet, I still didn't know that this "stranger" who entered my life would increase my luck infinitely.

That stranger, Phil Vanstone, became my husband October 11, 2008. And on March 25, 2010 we welcomed our first child, our son into this world. The love I receive from both of these blessings is a high that my previous life can never compare to. I can definitely say that I am the luckiest lady in the world to have both of them in my life.

Phil and My Wedding Day

Our First Family Photo

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. With the love and support of my husband, I made it back to school and got my Bachelor's Degree. Not in Nursing, but in my real passion, English, with Honors. :)



"I wrote this blog post while participating in the Bookieboo and "Earthies Wants You to Feel Lucky" blogging program, making me eligible to win a pair of Earthies shoes and American Express Gift Cards. For more information on how you can participate, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment