Thursday, May 5, 2011

Thankful Thursday- Happy Cinco de Mayo Hungry Girl!

One of the people that I am most thankful for on this beautiful Cinco de Mayo is Lisa Lillien, aka Hungry Girl. For those of you that are unfamiliar with her, she is the Goddess of Low Cal eats! She's written multiple cookbooks, has a tv show on the Cooking Channel and her super-famous website Hungry-Girl.com where you can sign up for a free daily e-mail! Not to mention she is super cute! I just love her!

While looking for a Crock-Pot recipe tonight, I decided to take a look through Hungry Girl's newest cookbook (I've practically been living out of it lately)-- 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner Dishes Under 300 Calories.

I flipped to the Crock-Pot section and it was like angels descended from heaven. I stumbled upon the recipe for "Outside-In Turkey Tamale Pie" on pg 312. Not only is it a set and forget recipe, it's festive for Cinco de Mayo! So I rushed into the kitchen to get it cookin', before I had to head off to work.

The Recipe
1 1/4lbs raw lean turkey
3/4 c yellow cornmeal
1 c ff chicken or veggie broth
1 14.5oz can of diced tomatos with chilies
1 small onion-chopped
3/4 c sweet corn
1/2 c canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used Northern White Beans)
1/2 c sliced black olives, drained (I left these out, since I'm not the biggest olive fan)
2 t chilli powder
1 t cumin
optional toppings: ff shredded cheddar, ff sour cream

Step One - Brown the ground turkey.

Step Two- Combine all of the other ingredients except for the cornmeal and broth in the Crock-Pot.


Step Three- While the turkey is finishing up, mix the cornmeal and broth together and let sit for 5 minutes.

Before you fire up the crock (7-8 hrs on low), mix in the cooked ground turkey and the cornmeal/broth mixture. It will look like this.


I meant to take a pretty "done" picture of the dish in the crock-pot. But the hubby was hungry and dug in before I could. So here's a pic of it in the bowl, note the tiny bowl to the left, I added some more corn, and due to the dish's mild spiciness, decided that my 1 yr old son would be sharing in mommy and daddy's dinner as well.

As you can see I also opted not to use any of the optional toppings-the recipe was so good that I ate two servings, at six points+ per serving it's pretty weight watchers friendly as well, even if you end up eating 12 points+ worth. :)
Lil P also really liked this dish.

My family gives this recipe 6 thumbs up--or two thumbs up per person, if you're not math savvy. Thanks for a great dinner Hungry Girl!

Don't forget to pick up a copy of 300 Under 300 for this awesome recipe and many others! (Shoppers secret-Amazon has it for the cheapest price--click here to pick up a copy)

No comments:

Post a Comment